invalid abstime to timestamp error only on specific date range

From: zhong ming wu <mr(dot)z(dot)m(dot)wu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: invalid abstime to timestamp error only on specific date range
Date: 2010-04-27 11:14:42
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a postgres table with a column type abstime. (all data in this
database are loaded from an ancient propriety database)

When I filter data from this table with a specific date range on this
column it works. When I filter with a different date range
it gives me an error like

invalid abstime to timestamp

I don't have that server at this moment and I cannot post exact error.
I'll if I have to.

I was pulling my hair out because it happens only with a specific date
range and can't be my invalid format in select statement.

Say i do

psql> select * from shipping where ship_date <= '04/22/2008' and
ship_date>='04/21/2008'

it works but if i do

psql> select * from shipping where ship_date <= '04/22/2010' and
ship_date>='04/21/2010'

it won't even perform the query but emits the error.

Both server and client are 8.4.3

I tried other date formats but above format should work because it
works with 2008 year.

Thanks for any suggestion