Re: pg_basebackup for streaming base backups

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_basebackup for streaming base backups
Date: 2011-01-15 22:10:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Not sure pg_ctl clone would be the proper name, since it's not
> actually a clone at this point (it might be with the second patch I
> ust posted that includes the WAL files)

Let's keep the clone name for the client that makes it all then :)

>> That should be -D --pgdata, for consistency with pg_dump.
>
> pg_dump doesn't have a -D. I assume you mean pg_ctl / initdb?

Yes, sorry, been too fast.

> They are. The docs clearly say "Only one of <literal>-d</> and
> <literal>-t</> can be specified"

Really too fast…

> Another option, I think Heikki mentioned this on IM at some point, is
> to do something like name it <oid>-<name>.tar. That would give us best
> of both worlds?

Well I'd think we know the pg_tablespace columns encoding, so the
problem might be the filesystem encodings, right? Well there's also the
option of creating <oid>.tar and have a symlink to it called <name>.tar
but that's pushing it. I don't think naming after OIDs is a good
service for users, but if that's all we can reasonably do…

Will continue reviewing and post something more polished and
comprehensive next week — mainly wanted to see if you wanted to include
pg_ctl <command> in the patch already.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine