Re: How to Create Table from CSV

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: ray <ray(at)aarden(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to Create Table from CSV
Date: 2011-03-06 21:18:48
Lists: pgsql-general

ray <ray(at)aarden(dot)us> writes:
> I would like to create a table from a CSV file (the first line is
> headers which I want to use as column names) saved from Excel. I have

You have to manually create the table and its columns, as other said.
The tricky part that is hard (or impossible) to automate is deciding
which data type to use for each column.

Once you've done that, actually importing the data is a matter of using
the COPY command or the pgloader tool.

In PostgreSQL 9.1 you will be able to use CREATE FOREIGN TABLE to
achieve that in one step, see:

CREATE FOREIGN TABLE

http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/ddl-foreign-data.html
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/sql-createforeigndatawrapper.html