Re: cheaper snapshots redux

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: cheaper snapshots redux
Date: 2011-08-23 16:39:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I think the real trick is figuring out a design that can improve
> concurrency.

I'm far from familiar with the detailed concepts here, but allow me to
comment. I have two open questions:

- is it possible to use a distributed algorithm to produce XIDs,
something like Vector Clocks?

Then each backend is able to create a snapshot (well, and XID) on its
own, and any backend is still able to compare its snapshot to any
other snapshot (well, XID)

- is it possible to cache the production of the next snapshots so that
generating an XID only means getting the next in a pre-computed
vector?

My guess by reading the emails here is that we need to add some
information at snapshot generation time, it's not just about getting
a 32 bit sequence number.

I'm not sure I'm being that helpful here, but sometime stating the
obviously impossible ideas allows to think about some new design, so I
figured I would still try :)

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine