Re: elegant and effective way for running jobs inside a database

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: elegant and effective way for running jobs inside a database
Date: 2012-03-06 21:44:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Activity and discretion beyond that could be defined in PL code,
> including run/don't run conditions, activities, and dependancies. The
> only thing Postgres doesn't currently have is a clock which fires
> events. Anything we try to implement which is more complex than the
> above is going to not work for someone. And the pg_agent could be
> adapted easily to use the Postgres clock instead of cron.

Oh, you mean like a ticker? If only we knew about a project that did
implement a ticker, in C, using the PostgreSQL licence, and who's using
it in large scale production. While at it, if such a ticker could be
used to implement job queues…

https://github.com/markokr/skytools/tree/master/sql/ticker

Regards,
--