Re: Command Triggers, v16

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Command Triggers, v16
Date: 2012-03-15 21:58:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thanks for testing this new version (again).

A quick answer now, I'll send another patch tomorrow.

Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I don’t understand how functions can return a type of “command
> trigger”. This certainly works, but I’ve never seen a type consisting
> of more than one word. Could you explain this for me? This is also

I tricked that in the grammar, the type is called cmdtrigger but I
though it wouldn't be a good choice for the SQL statement.

> at odds with the error message in src/backend/commands/cmdtrigger.c:
>
> errmsg("function \"%s\" must return type \"trigger\"",

I realized I needed another trigger like data type after I had worked
this message, I need to get back on it, thanks.

> At this moment in time, CTAS is still outstanding. Is the plan to try
> to get that in for this release, or as an enhancement in 9.3?

The plan is to get CTAS as a utility command in 9.2 then update the
command trigger patch to benefit from the new situation. We've been
wondering about making its own commit fest entry for that patch, it's
now clear in my mind, that needs to happen.

Stay tuned, follow up email due tomorrow.
--
Dimitri Fontaine