Re: WIP: Allow SQL-language functions to reference parameters by parameter name

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Dimitri Fontaine" <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: Allow SQL-language functions to reference parameters by parameter name
Date: 2011-04-15 08:32:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

(oops this mail never reached out, it seems, resending)

>> Yeah, I've come round to that position too. I think allowing
>> parameter names to be checked only after query names is probably
>> the best answer.
>
> That seems the most useful and least surprising approach to me.

Allow me to disagree. I don't want to recheck all my SQL functions
whenever I ALTER TABLE … ADD|DROP|RENAME COLUMN …;

We don't even have a nice way to list functions dependencies towards
objects that are part of their body to help me out here, or do we?

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine