Re: Database Users Management and Privileges

From: Gunnar Rønning <gunnar(at)polygnosis(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Jean-Francois Leveque <leveque(at)webmails(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Database Users Management and Privileges
Date: 2001-07-06 15:08:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

| Jean-Francois Leveque writes:
|
| > Comming from Oracle, I was disapointed that
| > the users were not "per individual database".
|
| > Is there any chance that this will change in
| > the future ?
|
| Most likely not. For one thing, it would be a problem to assign owners to
| databases.

Why ? Better user management and policy delegations would be important
postgresql to succeed in enterprise environments. Maybe one should
start distinguishing logins from users like Sybase does. Logins are global
to all databases, and you can create a user for a given database and assign
it to a login. It would also be nice to be able to assign users to
groups(which in turn define access rights within the database).

regards,

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Rønning - gunnar(at)polygnosis(dot)com
Senior Consultant, Polygnosis AS, http://www.polygnosis.com/