Re: ALTER EXTENSION ... UPGRADE;

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER EXTENSION ... UPGRADE;
Date: 2010-12-10 22:55:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> If we assume the target is the current version, then we only need the
> old-version number in the file name, so it doesn't matter how many
> parts it has.

IIUC, that puts even more work on the shoulders of the extension
authors, because the file named foo-1.12.sql is the one used to upgrade
from 1.12. That means that at each release, it's a different file
content, it's there to upgrade to a newer release.

Well it works too, of course, and we don't care how many dashes we find
in the filename, it's extension-version.sql. I'd be ok with that too.

So, we have a sound proposal for the ALTER EXTENSION UPGRADE command,
which comes later. So we keep version numbers in the CREATE EXTENSION
patch and the control files, and remove the facility to get this number
from the Makefile. Is that right?

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine