Re: hardware information

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, std pik <stdpik(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: hardware information
Date: 2009-09-18 20:46:29
Lists: pgsql-admin

Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com> writes:
> I wonder if we should set up a pgfoundry package that queries the
> OS for the relevant information we find particularly relevant;
> including more subtle things like whether or not fsync's lying
> and why, and if the OOM killer's enabled.
>
> Then we could tell people who ask this to install the module
> and tell them to include the output of pg_system_info();
>
> I might be volunteering to try this for a couple platforms,
> but don't really know what's involved in setting up a pgfoundry
> project.

Get a [community?] login, register a new project with description and
commentary, then the moderators will process its creation within a
couple of days, sometime a little more.

Then you have a 90s inspired web interface to manage the project, which
means opening a CSV repository (which you can avoid using, a lot of
people tend to host code on github instead these days), mailing lists,
and you can publish files and make releases.

Be sure not to forget a file when preparing a release, because the form
allowing you to add a file to an existing release only works (IME) while
you're in the process, if you go to another menu then back to it, you're
out of luck.

Baring those gotchas, it's pretty easy (just ask for one). You'll find
helpful people on IRC having projects on pgfoundry, come by for specific
questions :)

Regards,
--
dim