Re: Updated pg_buildext

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>, PostgreSQL in Debian <pgsql-pkg-debian(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Updated pg_buildext
Date: 2011-06-18 18:39:09
Lists: pgsql-pkg-debian

Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org> writes:
> I didn't really change that, I just replaced "cd && make" with "make -C".

Ahah, I missed that. Objection withdrawn! :)

> Here's what I would do:
>
> * add all supported (by the package) versions to debian/control, but
> only build those from supported-versions
> * have some way to update debian/control (ideally not involving
> debian/control.in because manual changes to debian/control get lost)
> * have some way to indicate that we want to build a different set of
> versions, 1) it would make sense to build 9.1 modules when uploading
> to experimental now, 2) we need that for apt.postgresql.org

Well, for the “local” set of versions to build, I think the answer is to
tweak (dpkg-divert) the supported-versions script. Other than that, the
main situation I want to avoid is having to hand-edit the package when a
major version of PostgreSQL is dropped from sid at testing freeze time.

So +1 for your proposal.

>> The other TODO would be what to do about VPATH unfriendly extensions.
>> Some of them are using subdirectories where to stash regression tests,
>> docs, etc. Then building from another place is a problem: maybe that's
>> why you removed my forcing building in $vtarget?
>
> These probably require full (configure,) build && install cycles for
> each version. Usually install is invoked via fakeroot, but maybe we
> can go without.

I guess it boils down to playing with each extension in debian and
seeing where pg_buildext fails…

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine