Re: using OID as primary key

From: darcy(at)druid(dot)net (D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain)
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: wagner(at)imsd(dot)uni-mainz(dot)de, pgsql-sql <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: using OID as primary key
Date: 2000-07-21 13:58:15
Lists: pgsql-sql

Thus spake Jan Wieck
> > are there any disadvantages of using OID as the primary key for any
> > table?
> > What about referencing external tuples using their OIDs?
>
> Currently OID is not supported for references. Has to do with
> some checks done in the RI triggers, using SPI functions.
> We're thinking about a solution...

Also, don't forget about the dump/restore issue. You have to remember
to dump OIDs with "-o" or else all your references will be trashed.

<OPINION>
Personally I would avoid it. Adding a serial type almost gives you
the same thing anyway. OIDs are useful in system tables and temporarily
in programs when dealing with tables without primary keys.
</OPINION>

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy(at){druid|vex}.net> | Democracy is three wolves