Re: [HACKERS] Re: NOT {NULL|DEFERRABLE} (was: bug in 7.0)

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
Cc: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: NOT {NULL|DEFERRABLE} (was: bug in 7.0)
Date: 2000-02-29 23:52:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> At 02:34 PM 2/29/00 -0400, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> >IMHO, you should be on pgsql-general, not pgsql-hackers, as its obvious
> >that you need *release level* software ...
>
> No problem, I'll unsubscribe.

NO!

Your input and code-contribution to the FK project was far
too important. In fact, without you FK would have been
implemented fundamentally wrong. So I would miss you on
-hackers.

> >If, when we release, you are *still* having problems,please feel free to
> >let us know in a *NON* antagonistic way ...
>
> Save bug reports until release? OK, if that's what you want.

It's not wat I want at least.

Back to the roots. Thomas, from my personal PoV, is a little
too much after "do it in the grammar if possible at all". But
he's the core member to take care about compliance and the
like. Hackers (like me) tend to let go with something that
works, but it's him to assure the parsers future is great,
wide open. Finally it's the mixture in the core team that
makes Postgres successful, so I'm happy with Thomas having a
sharp eye on it.

In the actual case, we need to see what can be done until 7.0
release. If we cannot produce a clean solution during the
next weeks, I'm sure that "backward compatibility" has the
higher weight than avoiding my crude hack into the parser
(it'll stay for one release only anyway).

What I suggest is, take it as it is. We use to have a
friendly and nice ground noise in our mailing lists. So this
kind of discussion, tending to become flame wars, should be
taken off list at least (IMHO avoided at all, but I'm farest
the last person to judge).

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #