Re: [HACKERS] interesting observatation regarding views and V7.0

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] interesting observatation regarding views and V7.0
Date: 2000-02-24 00:04:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> Something else we might consider as a stopgap is to resurrect the
> "compressed text" datatype that Jan wrote, and then removed in
> anticipation of having TOAST. Jan was concerned about creating
> future compatibility problems by having a datatype with only a
> one-release-cycle expected lifetime ... but I think it might be
> OK to use it just internally for rules.

Ech - must be YOU!

If I hadn't deleted the entire (including catalog changes for
pg_type ... pg_rewrite) patch, I'd be the one to suggest. We
could easily add some warning, like "LZTEXT will disappear in
a subsequent release again - be warned", spit out during
parse, if someone explicitly uses the lztext type.

I'll spend some time with CVS to see if I can regenerate the
patch from there.

But I can feel the punches of Marc already - this patch will
cause catalog changes after official BETA start - Uh - Oh.

Jan

BTW: Good chance for Vince to LOL if I fail on that one, since I
got very impatiant once about "correct usage of CVS". Was a
little off-list flamewar that turned out to be mostly "you
got me wrong" during a phone call. But things like that
linger in background until prooven :-). Showtime!

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #