LONG vs. Toaster

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org (PostgreSQL HACKERS)
Subject: LONG vs. Toaster
Date: 1999-12-20 23:37:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Well,

AFAIK we had a consensus on making "try to compress
attributes before moving off" a runtime, per column
configuration option. And that's what I'm after.

This might interfere with the LZTEXT data type as is. Since
this new data type isn't released yet, I'll have to remove it
again before freeze. The compressor/decompressor will become
part of the toaster.

Needs to revert the changes to pg_rewrite too, so the next
release will NOT gain any bigger rules. But to release it and
later fight problems that I already see, only to enable
bigger rules right now, is IMHO the wrong decision.

Any complaints?

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #