Re: [SQL] Problem copying polygon data into a table

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: brent(dot)wood(at)blazemail(dot)com (Brent Wood)
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] Problem copying polygon data into a table
Date: 1999-12-13 07:29:29
Lists: pgsql-sql

> The polygon has about 800 vertices (& is relatively small as some of the
> polygons in my dataset go).
>
> Trying to copy this into the table generates the error msg:
>
> ERROR: Tuple is too big: size 12892

It is a very old limitation, that one row (including the
systems per row information and ALL attribute values) cannot
exceed 8K - pageheader.

800 vertices is 1600 double precision floats is 12800 bytes.

We actually discuss how to tackle that problem in a future
release. And that far we know about a solution that could
make your problem go away. What we don't have is a consensus
on, and implementation of this solution.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #