Re: [HACKERS] plperl intial pass

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: mhh(at)mindspring(dot)com (Mark Hollomon)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] plperl intial pass
Date: 1999-07-26 10:18:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mark Hollomon wrote:

> on the patches list, I posted the first files
> for suuport for using perl as the procedural
> language.

Congratulations!

> The makefile uses libtool (probably incorrectly).
>
> It is not 'safe'.
>
> Perl XS modules cannot be used.

What's an XS module? If it's a shared object dynamically
linked - don't care too much - PL/Tcl cannot either.

> Using Perl in rules hasn't even been thought about.

If a function works from a query, the same function must work
too in a rule because the rewriter only mangles up parsetrees
so when executing, they are invoked from a query. Or did you
mean triggers?

> IF the code looks suspiciously like Jan's code
> for pltcl - well, it _is_ Jan's code for pltcl
> horribly mangled.

What ya think where the skeleton for PL/pgSQL came from :-) I
just wrote my own SQL scripting bytecode compiler and
executor and placed them into the PL/Tcl sources.

Congrats again - great work - move on.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #