Re: [HACKERS] money data type and conversions]

From: "D'Arcy" "J(dot)M(dot)" Cain <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
To: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momjian)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] money data type and conversions]
Date: 1999-06-23 20:54:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thus spake Bruce Momjian
> Maybe we will have to add '$' symbols to a special case of the numeric
> type, or add a function to output numeric in money format?

That's another thought I had. However, it isn't the '$' symbol. The
idea is that it takes the symbol from the current locale. That's what
makes handling the information so hard, you don't know how many characters
are used by the currency symbol.

However, cash_out and cash_words_out can probably be dropped into the
decimal code. There should be some small changes though. In particular
the money type moves the decimal point to a position in a fixed string
of digits but for decimal it should honour the type's positioning.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy(at){druid|vex}.net> | Democracy is three wolves