Re: [HACKERS] LIMITS

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: chris(dot)bitmead(at)bigfoot(dot)com (Chris Bitmead)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] LIMITS
Date: 1999-06-01 15:39:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Chris Bitmead wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > Chris Bitmead <chris(dot)bitmead(at)bigfoot(dot)com> writes:
> > > getTypes(): SELECT failed. Explanation from backend: 'ERROR: nodeRead:
> > > Bad type 0
> > > '.
> >
> > Did you do a full recompile and initdb?
>
> I did a full compile, but I didn't do an initdb. I was upgrading from a
> 6.5 beta of about a month ago to the latest CVS. Should it be necessary?

I think we shouldn't call anything BETA until it is released.
The current CVS tree has ALPHA state.

Until the official release (when Marc rolls the tarball),
development can cause all kind of changes, including schema
changes to system catalogs, print strings for
parsetrees/plans etc. Those changes require an initdb run
because the db files aren't binary compatible any more or the
corresponding node read functions aren't able to get back the
right trees from the string representations found in the
catalogs.

Until Marc officially releases BETA, you should allways
compile clean and run initdb after cvs updates. It's not the
first time you've got trapped by this.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #