Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 TODO list

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momjian)
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 TODO list
Date: 1999-05-11 13:20:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > GROUP BY can reference columns not in target list
> >
> > What's wrong with that?
>
> Is that not a problem. What possible use would GROUP BY on columns not
> in target list be of use. Maybe it is. I remember someone asking for
> something like this. I will remove the item unless someone complains.
> I thought you were the one complaining about it.

This can happen if the GROUP BY clause is coming from a view,
but the grouping columns of the view aren't in the
targetlist.

Usually the view's grouping is required because of use of
aggregates in the view, so omitting them isn't a good idea.

I'm actually testing what happens if I use junk TLE's for
rule generated GROUP BY entries...

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #