Re: [HACKERS] Dimaond Logo (was Globe...)

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: DrXyzzy(at)mediaone(dot)net (Hal Snyder)
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Dimaond Logo (was Globe...)
Date: 1999-03-23 10:59:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hal Snyder wrote:

> jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck) writes:
>
> > The first I've created has a diamond. It's on my index.
>
> I think this is the absolute best set of logo offerings yet.

Thanks

> I like #2 best.

And I #1 - maybe because I created that first.

> In #3, centering "Powered by" weakens the effect somehow.

If we choose the diamond as our logo, I'll create a bunch of
permutations where "Powered by" and the diamond are left,
center/as-o, right and we should vote on.

> Would it look less cluttered without the ORDBMS?

Don't know - would be part of the permutations. Would make
it consume less space though :-).

> I've been speaking to one of the artists at work about logos. His
> description of a good logo includes the following:
>
> 1. Should be simple enough that it's recognizable when scaled down to
> small icon size.
>
> 2. Should be recognizable from the shape of its silhouette. We should
> know what it stands for even without standard colors and with
> extreme contrast.
>
> 3. The shape should somehow suggest the entity that is represented.
>
> 4. Does not necessarily include the company name. This can be attached
> beside the logo.
>
> His examples of good logos: AT&T "death star", the Apple logo. I'd add
> the FreeBSD logo as a third.

Rules 1 and 2 are matched. Rule 3 - a diamond is hard, sharp,
clear bright and more worthy than gold - matched.

Rule number 4 I would not want to match. The spelling
PostgreSQL (not Postgres-SQL or all the other spellings
sometimes used) is somewhat special and thus should be part
of the logo.

My absolute favorites of logos are the ones where the
font/colors+outline associate with the name. Write anything
in that special curly way white on a red background and you
have Coke. Any 3 capitals written in blue stripes reminds on
IBM. And my wife bought NIVEA in Tunis - it was just that
blue round cover with some arabic letters in white :-) - you
can read that even if you can't identify one single letter.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #