Re: [INTERFACES] pgaccess on Win95

From: reedstrm(at)wallace(dot)ece(dot)rice(dot)edu (Ross J(dot) Reedstrom)
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Cc: pat(at)patoche(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] pgaccess on Win95
Date: 1999-03-15 02:37:55
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> On Sun, 14 Mar 1999 pat(at)patoche(dot)org wrote:
>
> > i've just download pgaccess 0.96
> > it seems to be able to run on Windows and i'm very interested to use it that
> > way.
> >
> > So i've installed Tcl/tk on Win95 I launch pgaccess, everything seems ok
> > but as soon as i connect to a database i have (translated from french) :
> > error postgresql : the fore-ground engine use an invalid protocol.
> >
> > i've not installed dcom or odbc on the computer. should i ?

No, pgaccess uses the native postgres protocol on the wire, via the libpgtcl.dll
and libpq.dll libraries included in the distibution. I have colleagues working
with me using pgaccess from win32 on the same database where I use it from unix.
This allows us to share stored queries and such.

However, it sounds like you are getting a protocol mismatch - what version is
your postgresql backend? I think the current pgaccess version will only connect
properly to either v6.3 or v6.4. Also, make sure the postmaster has been started
with permissions to allow connection via network sockets, and that your IP number
has permission to connect (set up in the pg_hba.conf file)

HTH,
Ross
--
Ross J. Reedstrom, Ph.D., <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer