Re: [HACKERS] quoting problem?

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: terry(at)terrym(dot)com (Terry Mackintosh)
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] quoting problem?
Date: 1998-11-05 17:24:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Hi all
>
> I am running an older snapshoot of 6.4, so this may not be relavent now.
>
> I did a 'pg_dumpall -z > file.dump', then on another box destroyed all the
> databases and did 'psql templet1 < file.dump' and got this:
>
> REVOKE ALL on 'board' from PUBLIC;
> ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "'"
> GRANT ALL on "board" to "nobody";
> CHANGE
>
> It would seem that the single quotes should be double quotes?
> Jan, is this your area?

Not my area. But I'll take care that it get's fixed in
v6.4.1.

> I have notice that most all names now are quoted in dumps, but will work
> just fine with out any quotes, so why the quotes?

Just for the case that some of the identifiers could be
reserved words or contain upper case letters. By default
(without quotes), the parser changes anything to lower case
and does keyword lookup.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #