Re: [HACKERS] Rules for 6.4 finished

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu (Thomas G(dot) Lockhart)
Cc: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Rules for 6.4 finished
Date: 1998-08-21 16:09:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > This is the final state of the rule system for 6.4 after the
> > patch is applied:
>
> This is all neat stuff Jan. Thanks for working on it...
>
> - Tom

After playing around now with all that for a while I think
the only thing missing are some more attributes in the new
views. Currently the views are:

view pg_rule (
rulename name, -- name of the rule in pg_rewrite
definition text) -- SQL statement that defines the rule

view pg_view (
viewname name, -- name of the view in pg_class
definition text) -- SELECT statement that defines the view

For pg_rule it would be nice to show up the event relations
name and it's owners name. So one can select only the rules
belonging to a specific table or all the rules one user had
created. (this is already possible by joining with
pg_rewrite, pg_class and pg_user, but having the attributes
in pg_rule is easier)

For pg_view again the owners name would be nice.

Adding them would only require little changes to initdb.sh,
so I left them out until a discussion showed up all the
attributes that should be there.

Another topic is if we should create some more system views
at initdb time. I would find views telling ownership and
other information readable instead of Oid's very useful. As
for pg_rule and pg_view it would be possible to create a view
that describes the definition of an index instead of some
cryptic numbers. And another one for real tables where
indices and views are omitted would also be useful.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #