Re: [HACKERS] cidr

From: darcy(at)druid(dot)net (D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain)
To: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momjian)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] cidr
Date: 1998-07-25 04:08:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thus spake Bruce Momjian
> > I do like the idea of using attypmod to define the form of the type.
> > I assume we can use that to determine the output format, that is, use
> > it to effectively apply one of the functions to it. That makes for
> > a clean use of the type.
>
> OK. Sounds good to me. The only problem is display. If we don't
> indicate whether it is a cidr or host/netmask on column creation or
> insertion, how do we display it so it makes sense? Always cidr?

Well, I guess we just decide on a default format if it is not defined.
I think the default should be display as cidr (x.x.x.x/y) except omit
the mask length if it is 32 (or -1 if we go with that usage.) Perhaps
make one of the defined types always display cidr even in thos special
cases.

> > I agree. I'm just saying that we can add the netmask function to integer
> > as well. That gives someone the flexibility to store it either way.
> > However, I don't think I am going to speak to this point again until
> > someone can give me a single example of a requirement for storing
> > netmasks independent of any hosts or networks. :-)
>
> OK. Why not?

I'm just saying that given that there isn't any useful situation where
we might want to store netmasks alone independent of IPs, I don't see
much point in arguing how many IPs can dance on the end of a netmask.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy(at){druid|vex}.net> | Democracy is three wolves