Re: [INTERFACES] Newbie question

From: leif(at)danmos(dot)dk
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Newbie question
Date: 1998-06-02 20:51:00
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello,

> > running
> > under Windows 95 without the ODBC interface, I just need to hook it up
> > my PostgreSQL database.
> >
> > Could someone please give me a step-by-step idea of how to get ODBC
> > running on Win95 and whatever tools/programs is needed for that?
> Well, I've never done it myself, but I'll give it a shot.
> 1) get the newest driver from http://www.insightdist.com/psqlodbc and
> compile it
> 2) set up your PostgreSQL database to use TCP/IP
> A) to do this add in the '-i' option when you start the postmaster
> B) edit you pg_hba.conf file appropriately.
> 3) Make sure you program is connecting to the correct machine, username,
> and password.

Thanks for the information. I had already done that. I am afraid I
forgot to tell you that I have never used ODBC on Windows before and I
have a hard to figuring out how to make my program connecting to the
PostgreSQL database on the server. Do I need a ODBC Manager or something ?
And if so where do I get it? How do I set up Windows 95?

> FYI, there is a self-extracting, fully functional installation there
> (postdrv.exe) for win95 -- you dont have to mess around with compiling if
> you don't want to. There is also just the compiled dll (postdll.zip), for
> those who have done the full install at least once (just unzip into
> \windows\system).

Great! Thanks! That helped, after fooling around in the ODBC DBA for
a while, I finally figured out to make a new SystemDSN, where I could
connect to the driver (well, I said it was a newbie question, also with
respect to ODBC ;-). Now I can connect and talk to the database.

Just a little additional question: I seem to have trouble with varchar.
I don't seem to get anything if it is defined as varchar, but it is OK if
it char ?!

Thanks in advance,

/
_/ _/_/ / Leif Jensen (leif(at)danmos(dot)dk)
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ / Linux 2.0.29, gcc 2.7.2, wxWin 1.66F