Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] 'pgsql/src/bin/initdb initdb.sh'

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momjian)
Cc: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com, scrappy(at)hub(dot)org, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] 'pgsql/src/bin/initdb initdb.sh'
Date: 1998-02-23 20:35:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > I don't know if I like the new name db_user? What do other people
> > > think? I thought pg_user_no_pwd would be nice.
> >

> > create view pg_users as ...
> > ERROR: Illegal class name: pg_users -- pg_ is reserved for system catalogs
>
> Oops, yep.
>
> I guess I just liked that the pg_ stuff was all system stuff. Do you
> get this error when creating it from postgres, as initdb does? That
> would be a solution. Worked here.

even if running postgres directly from pgsql account.

But I think it's right to have views/tables named db_
or sys_ too. Other RDBMS's have them too (Oracle).

And I don't know if ALL the places where IsSystemRelationName()
is used are happy with things that in fact aren't really
hardwired system catalogs.

Just let's choose one prefix for all of them and use
that then. Maybe we would like to restrict the use of
this prefix to superusers only. As I think there could
be more information in the catalogs that we want to
hide from users in the future, a group of db_ views,
where all the completely open catalogs are just mapped
by SELECT * wouldn't be a bad idea.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #