Re: [HACKERS] Internet is putting lot of competition fire & heat under Microsoft SQL Server

From: Oliver Seidel <seidel(at)in-medias-res(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Internet is putting lot of competition fire & heat under Microsoft SQL Server
Date: 2001-05-15 07:05:45
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hi,

This sort of post is giving open source software a bad name.

I am glad that this post has only reached a small number of people who
are already pro-PostgreSQL and has not reached the crowd who needs
convincing that their time, attention, enthusiasm, and money is better
spent on PostgreSQL than on MS SQL Server (in the long run, due to the
"business model". I know that Microsoft bought Jim Gray and a number
of other people who are in a position to build amazing things; well,
we have Stonebraker ... or at least had him).

If anybody wishes to do good, they better start off by reading one of
the advocacy documents. Many of the advocacy arguments that apply to
Linux can equally well be used in the context of PostgreSQL. One
might start reading here:

http://linuxtoday.com/stories/1847.html

The gist of the matter is, a post that contains expletives, excessive
use of the word "boss", derisive mockings of large companies (M$ would
be such a mocking), or other unqualified drivel without informational
content, will make people think that the whole crowd around PostgreSQL
is stupid.

An argued comparison of standards compliance with a list of 5
intentional deviations by a Microsoft product might be more
convincing.

So please stop posting ignorant, but enthusiastic messages that give
the development team a bad name.

Thank you,

Oliver Seidel