Gsoc XQuery

From: Necati Batur <necatibatur(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Gsoc XQuery
Date: 2010-04-09 15:25:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

*IDEA:XMLQuery*

* *

*Abstract*

SQL/XML makes it possible to store your XML documents in your SQL database,
to query those documents using XPath and XQuery, and to "publish" your
existing SQL data in the form of XML documents.

*Benefits of Project*

SQL/XML is an ANSI and ISO standard that provides support for using XML in
the context of an SQL database system. Because SQL is the standard language
for accessing and managing data stored in relational databases, it is
natural that enterprises and users worldwide need the ability to integrate
their XML data into their relational data through the use of SQL
facilities.SQL/XML makes it possible to store your XML documents in your SQL
database, to query those documents using XPath and XQuery, and to "publish"
your existing SQL data in the form of XML documents.

Nowadays Xml datatype is generally used to store,manipulate and export data
between cross-platforms.We intend to implement and XML/SQL query for the
postgresql based on XQuery,XPath. Postgresql 8.3 implemetns core
functionalities for the SQL/XML but the XQuery is still needed to supported.
Since XML is semi-structured it is flexible to use by other programming
languages,reporting web-based applications as well as data exchange between
different DBMSs.

*Delivarables on Timeline*

The implementation of XQuery support can ce achieved by;

*Understanding the basics of the SQL/XML (1 week)

*A research of on other kinds of XQuery supported DBMSs scuh as; Oracle and
SQLServer(1-2 week)

*The design for the core functionalities of the XQuery (2-4 week)

*First few hard-coded functionalities(1-2 week)

*Testing and adding more details during an iterative development(1-2 week)

*Implementation of a GUI for XQuery for the PostgreSql users (2 week)

*Final tests and documentation (1-2 week)

*About me*

I am a senior student at computer engineering at
iztech<http://english.iyte.edu.tr/main_eng.jsp?pageName=main.htm> in
turkey. My areas of inetrests are information management, OOP(Object
Oriented Programming) and currently bioinformatics. I have been working with
a Asistan Professor(Jens Allmer <http://jens.allmer.de/>) in molecular
biology genetics department for one year.Firstly, we worked on a protein
database 2DB <http://www.2db.de.ms/> and we presented the project in
HIBIT09<http://hibit09.ii.metu.edu.tr/>organization. The
Project was “Database management system independence by amending 2DB with a
database access layer”. Currently, I am working on another project (Kerb) as
my senior project which is a general sqeuential task management system
intend to reduce the errors and increase time saving in biological
experiments. We will present this project in
HIBIT2010<http://hibit2010.ii.metu.edu.tr/> too.
Moreover,I am good at data structures and implementations on C.

Contact: e-mails; necatibatur(at)gmail(dot)com ,