Re: query related to pgsql

From: Geoffrey Pitman <geoffrey(dot)pitman(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Abhishek Maurya <abhi(dot)cse(dot)dit(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: query related to pgsql
Date: 2010-04-20 16:03:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Firstly, this doesn't seem like a bug at all. So, I think you're in the
wrong list. That said, here are some hints that might help you get started
through the troubleshooting necessary:

1) Are you able to connect to the server using the psql command line utility
(it's best to start there before moving on to layers of complexity)? [Do
this from the actual server machine--not from a remote machine to eliminate
other sources of error]

2) If not, is the PostgreSQL service started? (If the server is not started,
consult your OS documentation on how to start the service)

3) If the service is started: Is it listening on the default port or
another, or not listening at all? Check your configuration files if not.

4) If the service is started and listening, can you access it from another
system (WITHOUT USING PHP)?

5) If so, begin troubleshooting PHP. Is your web server actively serving PHP
(have you run a test document through it)?

6) If so, is the pgsql module loaded?

7) If so, are there any permissions errors or other confounding items in the
server setup?

That's as much as I can think of off the top of my head. I'm pretty new to
all of this myself as I'm self-taught over the past several months. You may
find more capable and knowledgeable assistance on another mailing list.
Maybe the ADMIN list?

I hope this helps,

Geoff

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 9:48 AM, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov