Re: [ANNOUNCE] Re: Contributing PDF of the PUG

From: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Re: Contributing PDF of the PUG
Date: 1999-08-02 10:51:20
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-docs pgsql-general

At 19:14 +0300 on 29/07/1999, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > I have converted your PostgreSQL User's Guide (v. 6.5) to PDF to ease
> > printing on Windows. If you are interested in getting the PDF (for
> > redistribution or whatever), I'll be pleased to forward it to your
> > attention.
>
> Thank you for your offer. Someone has already donated PDFs for this
> version, though their existance is apparently a secret (Vince? Could
> you add this to the web page?).

I notice that the current PDFs don't have things like a contents column on
the left, or an ability to jump from the table of contents directly to the
relevant page. Things like that are very valuable in PDFs. I wonder if the
A&P guy's version has this. If so, maybe it is preferable to the existing
ones.

If not, then perhaps this sort of thing should be marked down as yet
another requested feature of the documentation? Perhaps there is a tool to
do this. Take the HTML4 standard for example - I'm pretty sure the various
versions were not written separately, and their PDF is as useful as the
HTML version if not more.

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.