Re: [SQL] converting from number to text

From: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>
To: Remigiusz Sokolowski <rems(at)gdansk(dot)sprint(dot)pl>, pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] converting from number to text
Date: 1999-06-16 11:25:06
Lists: pgsql-sql

At 12:31 +0300 on 16/06/1999, Remigiusz Sokolowski wrote:

> I need convert number(float or integer) to text, but my version of
> postgres (i.e. 6.3.2) seems to have not such a function?
> Is it may be in newer versions or is there any work-around?
> TIA
> Rems
> p.s. concept is to have field, which contain date in timestamp form
> (number of seconds from 'epoch'), but in which I could insert also value
> 'until cancellation' or any other text.

I think a better approach to your problem would be to add a status field.
The status field will contain anysuch additional information, and the date
field will only contain a date when the given status demands it. How you
display it in a report is a different matter - You can write a function
that queries the status field and substitutes it with the date value if the
status is so-and-so.

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.