Re: [GENERAL] Problems importing my 6.3 database into 6.5.1

From: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>
To: Randy Dees <rrd(at)amherst(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Problems importing my 6.3 database into 6.5.1
Date: 1999-07-28 10:21:06
Lists: pgsql-general

At 10:47 +0300 on 28/07/1999, Randy Dees wrote:

> QUERY: CREATE TABLE jobs (id int4, folder text, open bool, synopsis text,
> user text, severity int2, status text, problem text, submitted int4, due
>int4,
> lastmod int4, lastperson text, keywords text, inform text);
> ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "user"
>
> followed by several similar lines. Sure enough, "user" is a key field among
> many of my tables - is it also a restricted word?
>
> The old database is still up, and can remain up for a bit. But I do need to
> migrate to the new server as quickly as I reasonably can. How can I get
> around the problem?

No way to get around it. You have to change the name of the field in the
create statement (and all the queries that use it), or put it in double
quotes (and do the same in all the queries).

While you are at it, do a thorough search for all the SQL92 reserved words,
and make sure you don't have any other such problems. This will save you
going through this process again (the main problem is going through all
your applications, and possibly through your view definitions) in the
future, when more and more SQL92 words will be put into use in PostgreSQL.

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.
http://telem.openu.ac.il/~herutma