Re: [SQL] Can I prevent my sequence to increment if an insert is rejected?

From: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>
To: Frederic De Leersnijder <frederic(dot)de(dot)leersnijder(at)pandora(dot)be>, "pgsql-sql(at)hub(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [SQL] Can I prevent my sequence to increment if an insert is rejected?
Date: 1999-07-21 09:15:49
Lists: pgsql-sql

At 19:54 +0300 on 20/07/1999, Frederic De Leersnijder wrote:

> Hi,
>
> when I try to insert a record and it curses with fields with a unique
> key on them my sequence I use for my primary key does increment. How can
> I prevent this from happening?

You can't. The point of sequences is that they ensure you of unique values,
but they DO NOT ensure you of gap-free values. This allows sequences to be
used momentarily, without being locked for the duration of a transaction,
thus allowing many users to get values with minimal contention.

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.
http://telem.openu.ac.il/~herutma