Re: [GENERAL] Emptying a database.

From: Stuart Rison <stuart(at)ludwig(dot)ucl(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: jdavis(at)gaslightmedia(dot)com
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Emptying a database.
Date: 1998-10-08 15:37:51
Lists: pgsql-general

>you just want to dump all the data? just use delete then..
>
>DELETE FROM tablename;
>
>Deletes all the data in the table....

Yes (thanks ;) ), but I want to do so for ALL my tables within a db without
having to type in the command for each table (I mean currently I have 20
tables but I'm likely to have more).

The way around it I've thought of is to write a delete for each table in a
file and then just run them with \i.

I just wondered if there was a pg command to do so (a 'flush' as it were).

>On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Stuart Rison wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I'm currently doing some database design work and find myself entering
>> loads of test records into my database tables.
>>
>> Occasionally I want to 'flush' out the database (i.e. keep all tables,
>> views, etc. but delete all records). Currently I have to pg_dump the
>> database and then use a text editor to cut out all the 'copy' statements
>> out and recreate a 'new' database.
>>
>> Is there a way of flushing the content of all tables?
>>
>> Thanks for any help you may provide.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Stuart.

| Stuart Rison | Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research |
+-------------------------+ 91 Riding House Street |
| Tel. (0171) 878 4041 | London, W1P 8BT, UNITED KINGDOM. |
| Fax. (0171) 878 4040 | stuart(at)ludwig(dot)ucl(dot)ac(dot)uk |