Re: [GENERAL] translate "bug"?

From: Stuart Rison <stuart(at)NOJUNK_ludwig(dot)ucl(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] translate "bug"?
Date: 1998-07-07 18:12:45
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

>> I have some embedded spaces in data that should be stripped out.
>>
>> In the course of trying to find a way to do this, I found out some stuff:
>>
>> #1a
>> \df would be a whole lot nicer if I could do:
>>
>> \df <type> and get only functions that have the given return type, or
>> \df <string> it grepped all the lines for something matching string
>>

>Try:
>
> echo "\df" | psql | grep <type>
>
>or
>
> echo "\df" | psql | grep <string>
>
>I realize you want it inside the psql program, but the above should get the
>same results pretty quick...james

Thanks for that James... I've been trying to work out how to do it for ages!

I have to agree with Richard though, it would be very nice to have it
within psql. Furthermore, it would be great if such functionality
could be extended to all \d? queries. In fact, and I'm sure there actually
is a way to this if you're more knowledgeable than I, since most of these
\d? queries basically yield a 'SQL' table, wouldn't be nice to be able to
perform SQL on the (e.g. select * from \df where function = 'int2_text';
etc.)

Or am I just getting carried away! 8)

Stuart

| Stuart Rison | Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research |
+-------------------------+ University College London |
| Tel. (0171) 878 4041 | 91 Riding House Street |
| Fax. (0171) 878 4040 | London, W1P 8BT, UNITED KINGDOM. |
| stuart(at)NOJUNK_ludwig(dot)ucl(dot)ac(dot)uk [Remove NOJUNK_ for it to work] |