A forward-compatible pg_dump?

From: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: A forward-compatible pg_dump?
Date: 1999-01-31 16:37:46
Lists: pgsql-general

After *months* of delays, we are *finally* going to port all our databases
(and that's hundreds of small ones) to 6.4.2 from 6.2.1.

So, I took a test-case database and tried to load it from our backup dumps.
Ah... Close, but no cigar. Several syntax changes happened over the past
two years, including the dropping of archiving (obsoleting the "archive"
keyword in the dumps), and a change in the constraint syntax.

Also, old pg_dump doesn't dump privileges correctly, and frankly, it would
be a pain to enter each database and start granting from memory or a
handwritten list...

So, I recalled that there was somebody who wrote a forward-compatible
pg_dump. Something that works on 6.2.1 (or was it 6.1?) but outputs 6.4 or
6.3 schema syntax. Is that someone still around?

If so, can this thingy, wherever I may get it, be used to dump properly
from 6.2.1 to 6.4.2, and will it dump grants as well?

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.
http://telem.openu.ac.il/~herutma