Re: [INTERFACES] Large objects, why not use the filesystem?

From: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>
To: "Gregory W Burnham" <gburnham(at)sfu(dot)ca>
Cc: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Large objects, why not use the filesystem?
Date: 1999-02-01 13:47:30
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
At 15:28 +0200 on 01/02/1999, Gregory W Burnham wrote:

> Right, but I'm storing html and gif in my blobs and just
> writing them out to stdout.  Why shouldn't I just store
> the file names and put the files right on the server?

No reason at all. If it works for your application, then Buy Nike... oops,
I meant "Just Do It". There are pros and cons for Blobs. If the pros don't
hold for you, don't use Blobs.

> To quote a friend of mine, "Efficiency is an issue only when
> inefficiency is a problem."  But still, you want to be as
> efficient as possible, right?  In retrospec, it would have
> been more efficient to store all four digits of the year, right?

Actually, it would simply have postponed the problem to a later date...

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.
http://telem.openu.ac.il/~herutma