Re: [GENERAL] viewing/editing function definitions

From: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>
To: Danny Rice <dwrice(at)indiana(dot)edu>, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] viewing/editing function definitions
Date: 1999-01-31 12:07:50
Lists: pgsql-general

At 12:38 +0200 on 28/01/1999, Danny Rice wrote:

> With pgaccess I can "Open" a user defined function and see how it was
> defined. Is there a way to do this with psql or some other interface
> (preferably text based)? What is the best way to edit an existing
> function?

The only way I can think of is to dump the specific function using pg_dump
with appropriate flags. This enables you to see it.

Editing would be editing the resulting file, dropping the function and
running the file through psql. However, there is a catch here - last time I
tried this was on 6.2.1 - and this is that if you have a table that relies
on this function for default or constraint, I think you'll run into a
problem. This is probably because the new function definition has a
different OID.

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.