pgaccess under IRIX 5.3 - please help

From: Stuart Rison <stuart(at)ludwig(dot)ucl(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-questions(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: stuart(at)ludwig(dot)ucl(dot)ac(dot)uk
Subject: pgaccess under IRIX 5.3 - please help
Date: 1998-06-08 16:41:26
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Dear all,

In a brief moment of folly I thought "oh, I'll just install pgaccess0.87
today".

Three day later I had:

- Installed tcl8.0, installed tk8.0 (when it dawned upon me that a tcl/tk
interface might just need the :) )
- learnt about patches; obtained gnu patch; patched ./configure for pgsql
6.3.2 (this to recompile postgreSQL --with-tcl)
- learnt -ok, fudged- about with tk.h and libtcl8.0.a libtk8.0.a and stuck
them in /usr/local/lib
- compiled /src/interfaces/libpgtcl
- got libpgtcl.a
- wept/sworn and kicked myself and my computer

I fell I am tantalisingly close, like I have all the bits but not quite the
right order.

I'm trying all on this on an INDIGO2 running IRIX 5.3. I've read
newsgroups/web sites etc for pgaccess and they all say you need
libpgtcl.so. However, there are -to the best of my knowledge- no
precompiled IRIX 5.3 binaries for libpgtcl. Also, and please bear in mind
that I'm a biologist by training so don't be too harsh, I'm under the
impression that libpgtcl.so and libpgtcl.a are not simply minor variation
on each other but completely different concepts with the former a dynamic
shared library accessed a run-time and the latter a static library fixed at
compilation time.

Can anybody help?

What am I doing wrong? Is there a way of getting libpgtcl.so under IRIX
5.3? Is there a way to run pgaccess with libpgtcl.a? Has anybody got
pgaccess to run successfully under IRIX 5.3? and if so could you help me
out?

or should I just have a nice cup of tea and do the Time crossword?

best regards,

Stuart.

PS. The Times crosswords are at: http://www.the-times.co.uk [Register, get
to the front page and click the link at the top]

| Stuart Rison | Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research |
| Tel. (0171) 878 4041 | Courtauld Building |
| Fax. (0171) 878 4040 | 91 Riding House Street |
| stuart(at)ludwig(dot)ucl(dot)ac(dot)uk | UNITED KINGDOM. |