Re: [SQL] How match percent sign in SELECT using LIKE?

From: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, zalman(at)netcom(dot)com (Zalman Stern)
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] How match percent sign in SELECT using LIKE?
Date: 1999-03-17 09:58:46
Lists: pgsql-sql

At 00:26 +0200 on 17/03/1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > But I don't have in depth knowledge of the Postgres SQL parser and
> > evaluator so I may be way off base.
>
> That is also an excellent idea. Just convert their escape to \ inside
> the parser. Of course, they still have to use \\ to get a \, as in any
> string. Great idea.

Just a quick note about compliance: It has to work two ways. That is, if
someone imports an SQL script from his previous database (or don't you
think people will be migrating *to* postgres, only *from* it?), it has to
work.

Thus, if someone has a script written to the SQL92 standard, he is allowed
to use a construct like

...WHERE pathname LIKE 'C:\WINDOWS\%'

Without encountering oddities.

Herouth