Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC on unix?

From: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>
To: leif(at)danmos(dot)dk, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC on unix?
Date: 1998-07-05 10:50:03
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

At 18:02 +0300 on 4/7/98, leif(at)danmos(dot)dk wrote:

> I have successfully downloaded and installed the unix pgodbc interface
> by Sergey E. Levov. Have a look at http://users.ids.net/~bjepson/freeODBC
> and ftp://ftp.informika.ru/pub/unix/db/postgres.

Thank you. I wish it was better-documented, but I'm sure you're not the one
to address on this...

> > It would enable me to use things like ColdFusion and LiveWire. Very useful.
> > I hate reinventing the wheel, and Java-based Web-RADs don't seem to exist.
> > Or am I wrong in this, too?
>
> Just to satisfy my curiosity: What are these two programs?

Rapid Application Development environments for the web. For example, PHP is
such a RAD. It allows you to mix HTML and dynamic contents from databases,
files, etc. This is usually done by adding tags to the HTML files, which
are parsed by the application server, and replaced with the appropriate
contents, such that at the end, a pure HTML output is presented to the
user's browser.

The high-quality applications have mechanisms which help you in updating
the database, not only retrieving. Updating requires maintaining session
state, as well as locking between users. This when HTTP doesn't keep a live
connection to the system, and thus you don't know when the user went away
and how long to maintain locks.

High-quality Web-RADs are supposed to help you by giving you pools of
database connections which remain persistent from one session to the next,
and they are also supposed to take care of all the multiuser overhead.

ColdFusion is Allaire's acclaimed rapid-development application server. You
can find more, I guess, at http://www.allaire.com/. It requires ODBC.

LiveWire is actually the old name for Netscape's Server-Side Javascript and
its connection to RDBMS. They have database connection pools, session
management and all - but they have some three databases they support, and
ODBC as well.

I'm currently in search of such a RAD, which will, in addition, allow me
toplug in a Java class here and there (on the server side, not an applet).
And this RAD has to work with PostgreSQL, of course.

One of the important requirements of such a RAD is that it will have
support for our web server (Netscape), and will not be CGI-based (because
this creates a process for every call. Bad.)

If anybody here knows of such a RAD which supports postgreSQL, please drop
me a note.

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.