Re: [INTERFACES] Re: thread-safe libpq and DBD::Pg

From: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>
To: Edmund Mergl <E(dot)Mergl(at)bawue(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Re: thread-safe libpq and DBD::Pg
Date: 1998-08-11 07:47:15
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

At 19:44 +0300 on 10/8/98, Edmund Mergl wrote:

> I suggest to spend the effort on making libpq thread safe.
> Otherwise we end up with two DBD modules for postgres.
> If you prepare a module, which does not depend on libpq,
> you will have much more effort on keeping it up to date.
> The main goal of an interface like libpq is to avoid such
> dependencies.

On the other hand, making a DBD module which is not dependent on libpq will
make it possible to use the perl interface on platforms other than UNIX
(e.g. Win, Mac).

So, if potential users have any say on the matter, I'd ask that interfaces
for various cross-platform languages be kept as platform-independent (that
is, as free of native code) as possible.

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.
http://telem.openu.ac.il/~herutma