Re: [QUESTIONS] Connect to Postgres with pure TCL

From: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Paolo Cacciatori <paolo(at)plavis(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [QUESTIONS] Connect to Postgres with pure TCL
Date: 1998-01-13 08:10:43
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

(Thread redirected from the pg-questions list to the pg-interfaces)

At 1:19 +0200 on 13/1/98, Paolo Cacciatori wrote:

> I want use Postgres on a Linux box in an office where the clients are
> running MacOS and Win95.
>
> With Tcl/Tk 8.0 is possible to write a front-end which run on all the
> clients, but libpq and libpgtcl are available only for Unix. Porting
> libpq to Mac and Windows is possible only for a programmer who knows
> well these OS, while for a Tcl version is required only to know Tcl and
> Postgres.

I second the need. I also want to have a convenient Mac front-end to Postgres.

I was thinking of looking into the adaptation of libpgtcl to PPC. This
would require understanding how Tcl/Tk can be extended on the Mac. At the
moment, I have no idea. I was inclined in this direction, however, because
I'm more of a Mac programmer than a Tcl/Tk programmer. Actually, I've never
used Tcl/Tk...

However, your way would be much more logical, though I suspect a
performance degredation if all the connections are done in the interpreted
language itself.

Another reason I'd like to see a Mac frontend is that it would give me an
idea of what is expected of a GUI frontend in general. I'm toying with the
idea of writing one in Java (or is there anybody else working on that?).

Herouth