Re: Correlation in cost_index()

From: Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Correlation in cost_index()
Date: 2002-10-03 17:39:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002 10:59:54 -0600 (MDT), "scott.marlowe"
<scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com> wrote:
>>are multicolunm indices involved in your estimator problems?
>
>No. Although I use them a fair bit, none of the problems I've encountered
>so far have involved them. But I'd be willing to setup some test indexes
>and get some numbers on them.

Never mind! I just stumbled over those lines in selfuncs.c where
indexCorrelation is calculated by dividing the correlation of the
first index column by the number of index columns.

I have a use case here where this clearly is not the right choice and
was hoping to find some examples that help me investigate whether my
case is somewhat uncommon ...

Servus
Manfred