Re: encoding question

From: Marc Herbert <Marc(dot)Herbert(at)continuent(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: encoding question
Date: 2006-01-30 19:23:35
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

"Gilbert, Antoine" <AGilbert(at)korem(dot)com> writes:

> Hi I have a postgresql database, the encoding of the database is
> SQL_ASCII When I use the postgresql driver, I have problem
> retrieving special characters

"special ASCII characters", mmmm... what is this ?

:-)

I looked for a solution to this issue some time ago and found this
"go-back-in-past" hack to change the encoding of the DB:

<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.sequoia.general/38>

Simple tests were successful but it is provided without any warranty
of any kind; it stays a dirty hack. Anyone here knowing better?

If you don't know which charset your "special characters" are from, or
even worst if they are from different 8bit charsets, then you're just
dead. Well, at least some of these characters are.