Re: Backup with Java

From: Marc Herbert <Marc(dot)Herbert(at)continuent(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Backup with Java
Date: 2006-11-30 11:03:30
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com> writes:

> I'd strongly suggest you exec pg_dump from the command line using
> System.exec and connect to the remote database. This is certainly re-
> inventing a non-trivial wheel.

We have implemented this, with a couple of additional checks

<https://forge.continuent.org/plugins/scmcvs/cvsweb.php/sequoia/src/org/continuent/sequoia/controller/backup/?cvsroot=sequoia>

This code is generic, designed to support not only PostgreSQL.

We could try to externalize it into an independent project if a
significant number of people are interested and... provided it's not
too hard to detach it from sequoia (no promise here).

We also interested by alternatives approaches.