Re: Server not listening

From: andy(dot)shellam-lists(at)mailnetwork(dot)co(dot)uk
To: George Heller <george(dot)heller(at)yahoo(dot)com>, "Joris Dobbelsteen" <Joris(at)familiedobbelsteen(dot)nl>, andy(dot)shellam-lists(at)mailnetwork(dot)co(dot)uk
Cc: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Server not listening
Date: 2007-05-01 11:36:09
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi George,

As Joris said, we need you to try what he has suggested.
The fact you can now connect via SSH proves PostgreSQL is set up and
configured correctly, which would point to a firewall or intermediate router
blocking your connections.

On the server (as root), do "iptables -L" or "/usr/local/sbin/iptables -L" if
the previous doesn't work, and post the full output so we can see if a
software firewall is blocking.

And please try and get some information about your network - who set the
server up, is there a hardware firewall or router firewall in between you and
the server, etc.

Thanks

Andy.

George Heller <george(dot)heller(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Ok, I have reached to the point where the SSH tunelling works, and I am
able
> to connect using it to PgAdmin. But I still want to know what exactly is
wrong
> with the other setup.
>
> I just came across this in the postgres documentation, about starting the
> postmaster with an -i option, if you want your server to accept TCP/IP
> connections.
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/postmaster-start.html
>
> I just used the -D option as specified, to start the server. Is it
necessary
> to use the -i option so that my server can listen, or is the documentation
just
> too old? If yes, what is the syntax for the same?
>
> Thanks.
> George.
>
> Joris Dobbelsteen <Joris(at)familiedobbelsteen(dot)nl> wrote:

DISCLAIMER

This e-mail was sent through a Mail Network server.
The Mail Network accepts no liability for it's content.