Re: Problem with the 9.1 one-click installer Windows7 64bit

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem with the 9.1 one-click installer Windows7 64bit
Date: 2011-09-13 06:44:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

Merlin Moncure, 12.09.2011 21:28:
>> With the second attempt, the installer again hang during initdb. Checking
>> the state using ProcessExplorer I could see that the installer script was
>> waiting for icacls.exe to set permissions for the user currently running the
>> installer. It was running [icacls.exe "thomas"] instead of [icacls.exe
>> "mydomain\thomas"] - although I have to admit that I don't know if that
>> would make a difference.
>>
>> So I killed the iacls.exe and the script proceeded, just to hang at the next
>> call to icacls.exe when it tried to set the privileges on the directory for
>> the postgres user despite the fact that that user already was the owner and
>> had full control over it. So I killed icacls.exe again and then the script
>> finally finished without problems. The service was registered and
>> successully started.
>>
>> UAC is turned off on my computer.
>>

> hm, why is icacls hanging? does it do that if you run it from the command line?

I re-ran the installer and copied the actual commandline the installer was using.

It turned out that it tries the following:
(Note that the selected data directory is c:\Daten\db\pgdata91)

icacls C:\ /grant "tkellerer":RX

(Changing the permission for the whole harddisk!!)

Then when I kill that process, the installer starts a new one with

icacls "C:\Daten" /grant "tkellerer":RX

Then I kill that one again, a new one is started with:

icacls C:\ /grant "postgres":RX

Then after killing that one, a new one is started with:

icacls "C:\Daten" /grant "postgres":RX

So it didn't actually hang, but changing the permissions for the entire harddisk (170GB taken) and the complete c:\Daten (~20GB) directory twice would have taken ages.

Seems there is something fishy about the way the iacls.exe commandline is assembled.

Regards
Thomas