Inheritance efficiency

From: Vincenzo Romano <vincenzo(dot)romano(at)notorand(dot)it>
To: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Inheritance efficiency
Date: 2010-04-26 07:39:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all.

I'm wondering how efficient the inheritance can be.
I'm using the constraint exclusion feature and for each child table
(maybe but one) I have a proper CHECK constraint.
How efficient can the query planner be in choosing the right child
tables in the case of, say, thousands of them?
Would the selection process behave linearly, logarithmically or what?

And now it comes to my mind the same question for partial indexes.
That is, if I had a lot (really a lot) of small partial indexes over a
very large table, how efficient can the query planner be
in selecting the right indexes?

Will these answers change in v9?

--
Vincenzo Romano